Jessica Alm Thomas
1 (612) email@example.com
Jessica received her Bachelors of Biomedical Engineering from the University of Minnesota and her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from William Mitchell College of Law. Jessica focuses her practice on all areas of intellectual property, with an emphasis on patents and trademarks. Jessica enjoys working with businesses and individuals alike to help identify and protect their intellectual property.
Jessica has been involved in all stages of litigation, from pre-suit investigations through trial. As part of a litigation team, Jessica worked on a week and a half long patent trial, including working with witnesses and preparing briefs before, during, and after trial. Jessica also works with clients to prepare and file patent applications, including both domestic and foreign. In addition, Jessica conducts freedom-to-operate searches and prepares associated opinions of counsel regarding noninfringement and invalidity, as needed.
While completing her undergraduate degree, Jessica spent her senior year working with a non-profit pediatric medical device company as part of her senior design project. The project included developing a closed-loop oxygen delivery system to continuously control the concentration of oxygen being delivered to infants in neo-natal intensive care units. In her spare time, Jessica enjoys reading, cooking, and playing volleyball.
- Patent Freedom to Operate Searches, Opinions, Techniques, and Studies, (ABA, 2017), co-author
- Note: The Evolving 510(K) System and its Effect on Patent Litigation, Cybaris® An Intellectual Property Law Review, Vol. 3, Issue 2 (2012)
- Intellectual Property Law for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
- Worked on litigation team for a client asserting multiple patents, including a week and a half long trial, and briefing before, during, and after trial
- Provided advice and guidance for patent application filings, product clearance and other intellectual property activities for large and small business, and for individual inventors
- Prepared analyses of third-party patents and provided opinions related to noninfringement and invalidity of those patents
- Prepared and filed numerous lawsuits on behalf of a client to enforce its trademarks and trade dress
- Negotiated license and settlement agreements relating to intellectual property
- Prepared, prosecuted, and supervised patent applications, including PCT and foreign counterparts, on a variety of technologies on behalf of multi-national corporations, smaller businesses, and individual inventors
- Participated in patent clearance studies for billion-dollar product lines; advised client regarding risk management and patent avoidance strategies, and prepared associated opinions of counsel