1 (612) firstname.lastname@example.org
Boyd joined Kinney & Lange as an associate in 2012. His practice is primarily focused on patent prosecution and related portfolio management and client counseling. This includes patentability opinions and third-party opinions regarding noninfringement and patent invalidity. His technology experience includes aerospace products and propulsion systems, deep-earth drilling equipment, super materials, mining and milling equipment, medical devices, business and software methods, and a wide variety of other technological fields.
Prior to law school, Boyd worked in the intellectual property department at Novatek Inc., where he prepared patent applications for several product portfolios, including the NovaDrill patent portfolio that was subsequently acquired by Schlumberger. During law school, he was vice president of the Intellectual Property Law Society and worked in the In-House Clinic both as a Spanish interpreter and representing defendants in criminal misdemeanor cases. Though a native of warm and sunny Southern California, Boyd has fallen in love with the rich and diverse outdoor opportunities available in Minnesota and enjoys extended canoeing excursions in the Boundary Waters.
- Patent Freedom to Operate Searches, Opinions, Techniques, and Studies, (ABA, 2017), co-author
- Intellectual Property Law for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
- Participated in patent clearance studies for billion-dollar product lines; advised client regarding risk management and patent avoidance strategies, and prepared associated opinions of counsel
- Prepared, prosecuted and supervised a large number of patent applications, including PCT and foreign counterparts, on a variety of technologies on behalf of multi-national corporations, medium-sized businesses, small businesses and individual inventors
- Prepared analyses of third-party patent family and provided opinions of counsel to client related to noninfringement of those patents