1 (612) email@example.com
Alan has built a trusted reputation with clients in patent prosecution and portfolio management in a wide variety of technological fields since he joined Kinney & Lange in 1996. He first came to the firm as a law clerk after serving as a patent assistant in the legal department of Norand Corporation, a manufacturer of portable data collection and wireless communication devices and systems. Alan became a shareholder with the firm in 2004. His technology experience includes analog circuit design, automotive systems, computer software applications, electronic and electromechanical systems, medical devices, optical, printing, semiconductor fabrication processes, wireless communications, and a wide variety of other technological fields.
Alan’s practice is primarily focused on patent prosecution and related portfolio management and client counseling. This includes third-party opinions, patentability and infringement matters and educational client and legal presentations. He oversees Kinney & Lange’s patent practice through individual mentoring and institutional process improvement and management. He is admitted to practice in state and federal courts as well as the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and Canadian Intellectual Property Office. He also advises clients on licensing potential, copyrights and trade secrets protection.
Alan is a frequent presenter on topics related to intellectual property law and practice, and has served as a member of the planning committee of the Midwest Intellectual Property Institute since 2005. He was also named a Rising Star by Minnesota Law and Politics magazine in 2002, 2003 and 2006. In his spare time, Alan enjoys sports of all kinds, including golf, tennis, and basketball.
- Patent Freedom to Operate Searches, Opinions, Techniques, and Studies, (ABA, 2017), co-author
- Published author in The IP Book published by Minnesota CLE and in Intellectual Property Today magazine
- Overview of Intellectual Property for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
- Intellectual Property Law for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
Blog PostsSee All
- Planning Committee, Midwest IP Institute (Minnesota CLE)
- Regular speaker at Minnesota CLE presentations on patent law and at Kinney & Lange’s Intellectual Property for Business Lawyers seminar
- “7 Strategies for Drafting Patents in Light of the AIA and IPR Trends” (co-presenter) 2015 Midwest IP Institute.
- “Conversational Patent: 20 Phrases You Need to Know” (co-presenter) 2011 Midwest IP Institute.
- “Prosecuting Patent Applications to Overcome the Pro-Rejection Pattern at the PTO” 2009 Midwest IP Institute.
- Prepared and prosecuted a large number of patent applications in many technology areas, including appeals and post-grant proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Provided advice and guidance for patent application filings, product clearance and other intellectual property activities for large and small business, and for individual inventors
- Coordinator of U.S. patent application filings and prosecution received from attorneys around the world for international clients
- Experienced in filing and prosecution of foreign patent applications, including PCT applications and applications in countries around the world
- Prepared analyses of third-party patents and provided opinions related to noninfringement and invalidity of those patents
- Prepared and sent cease and desist letters and negotiated agreements with third parties on behalf of clients to enforce various kinds of intellectual property
- Participated in litigation teams in patent infringement cases